Saturday, January 23, 2010

2007 Zind Humbrecht Calcaire Pinot Gris

Pinot gris is a grape varietal that gets a bad rap due to the volume of bottles that are sold under the pinot grigio label; bottles that are a watered down version of the original. Let me point out that you can find nice pinot grigio from Italy but it is a chore. Pinot gris (different name, same grape) usually originates in Alsace, France, Germany or, lately, Willamette Valley, Oregon. This bottling came from Alsace which is on the North-East corner of France, on the border of France and Germany (and in many ways the region is very German in nature both in terms of grape production and food, culture, city lay-outs). Think brautwurst and not beef bourgogne.
Getting back to the wine, pinot gris is a full bodied white wine that has a very similar mouth-feel to a German or Alsatian riesling. Personally, I love the full bodied texture of the wine and thinks it actually makes it FEEL right when paired with food.The main difference is that pinot gris is less sweet and acidic than riesling.
Pinot gris is generally considered a very good accompaniment to seafood and we tested that theory tonight with a homemade szichuan shrimp and mung bean noodle entree. It held its own against the meal even though the meal was a 9 on the spicy scale. Usually, I would pair a riesling, or a gruner veltliner with a spicy dish but my wife picked this one out and I thought it worked excellently.
This wine had a golden hue bordering on basketball-orange. If I didn't know any better, I would have that the wine had past its prime and was undrinkable. Even if I didn't know any better, by tasting this wine I would know that it was in its prime (maybe even before its prime) and very drinkable. In fact, experts say this wine can last another 15 years (don't try that with an Oregon version though because their wines lack some of the complexity of one from Alsace). I give this wine a 92. I found it for $30 in my local wine shop but I think the usual retail is $45 so it's not necessarily a value wine but a great one nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment