Sunday, January 17, 2010

2006 Hyde de Villaine "HdV" Carneros Chardonnay

WOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOOWOWOW!

I am an apple lover so this wine pleased me as macintosh flavors made their way throughout. Beyond that, almonds, serious minerality and a rich butter profile worked its way through the back palate. Having just recently returned from France in the past three months, if I didn't know any better, I would have mistaken this wine for a Puligny Montrachet or a Chassagne Montrachet. This wine was oaked to perfection, was layered and exhibited aging potential. It has serious backbone. I am not used to that in California.
At $35, however, good luck finding a wine that tastes this good in the aforementioned regions in Burgundy, France. While still moderately priced, this wine offers great value for the complexity.
I'm sold. I give it a 94 and will probably pick up another bottle to age with my Burgundies to see how it stacks up in a few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment