Sunday, January 17, 2010

Schiopetto Sauvignon Blanc 2006

I always like firsts when it comes to wine. There aren't many left for me, but then again, with how quickly the wine world changes, maybe I'm just being pessimistic!
This was the first Italian sauvignon blanc I have ever tasted and I am a huge fan of sauvignon blanc so obviously I haven't ventured too far from my wheelhouse of New Zealand, California and France.
Now let me start by saying that I like grassy herbaceousness (it's not a word but I like it). Kim Crawford, one of my favorite New Zealand sauvis year after year, defines grassy sauvi but it does so in a well balanced manner where the acidity really holds the wine together. Frankly, this wine did not. It did however get better with food; it cut well through the salmon and might just happen to be one of those wines (of which there are many) where it goes well with food but cannot be an appertif or cocktail by itself. That's not a bad thing as long as you know what you're getting into.
I give this wine an 88 but at $25, you'd be better off playing in New Zealand unless, of course, you're up for a first!

No comments:

Post a Comment