Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ceretto Bricco Rocche Brunate Barolo 2003

Home Alone (Me, not the movie). Whole Wheat Pasta. Homemade spicy tomato sauce. Hot Turkey Snausage. With home grown basil. Garlic bread with fresh garlic cloves.

I only had one thought in mind when I was cooking this meal and I had my trusty Riedel decanter ready for the task: Barolo. Barolo, generally considered the highest permutation of the nebbiolo grape grown in the Piedmont region of Italy, is a big wine. To be clear, this is a wine I've only had a few times before primarily because of the sticker shock. It is usually hard to find one under $80 that garners any favorable attention. I was lucky enough to find this bottle on sale for 40 bones each so I dug in and bought two.
Now this wine might be a little young as it tasted a little green still but it was fantastic. From the color (a lighter red with a distinct orange hue) to the aromas (tobacco and cedar) to the taste (more tobacco, dark fruits), this was a great bottle of wine. Maybe most important of all, it was a wine that made me feel like I was in Italy and, for someone who's never been, I don't even know what that means but it says a lot about this wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment