Sunday, January 10, 2010

2002 Oliver's Taranga Shiraz

Shiraz has gained enormously in popularity over the past decade primarily due to the enormous acreage of quality manifestations of the grape throughout Australia. The profile of the grape also lends itself to the average drinker- dark fruit, chocolate and pepper (oh, and usually high alcohol).
This wine was the most aged shiraz that I have ever had (8 years). It opened my eyes a little bit to the value of aging shiraz since the flavor profile definitely matured as compared to most Australian shiraz that I have drunk in the past. While the wine still had black pepper and blackberry flavors, it also was beginning to develop a leather/chocolate profile. I think I might need to age some more shiraz bottles in the future after tasting this wine as it has a lot to offer. I give this wine a 92 and I might buy another one just to compare my tasting notes in five years or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment