Sunday, January 17, 2010

Perrin and Fils 2006 Vinsobres

This wine was the second that I reviewed from the well known French Producer, Perrin and Fils, and it won't be the last. Perrin and Fils makes great Rhone red wines, and they also happen to be very competitively priced.This wine is a blend of 65/35, syrah/grenache and retails for $19.00. Perrin and Fils is a family owned operation that is run by the Perrin family which has owned a lot of prime real estate in the Southern Rhone since 1909. The fourth generation is running it today but the fifth generation is already working for the winery so it's safe to say that this will continue to be family run for quite some time. And that's a good thing.
Having tasted at least 4 different wines from Perrin and Fils, I think the thing comes to mind along with value is a sense of terroir.Now with that said, I must say that as you go up the ladder of their red wines, the complexity and range of finish intensifies. But that's the way it's supposed to be AND it's not always the case with other vineyards.
Suffice it to say that I gloat about this winery because I challenge anyone to pick a red wine by them that is not well made. In fact, to test my theory, I'm going to expand into other reds and then head into white territory, where they tend to make Rhone style whites with Marsanne, Roussane, viognier and grenache blanc. I bet you those offer good value too. Only time will tell.
As for this wine, black cherries and raspberries are the predominant feature with a long, clean finish. The wine has perfect acidity as an accompaniment with your best game meat dinner.
I concur with Wine Spectator and give this wine a 91. And I hope you take me up on my challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment