Friday, February 19, 2010

Viognier

Viognier sounds like a wine, doesn't it? It has all of the arrogance that non-wine drinkers are used to, at least in name alone. What is it? It's an extremely aromatic and expressive white wine varietal. In France it is grown in the Rhone valley and goes by the name of condrieu (possibly more wine-like and arrogant than viognier even is!).

Let's just say that I love this grape. I love how different it is. I love how complex it CAN be. I love how well it goes with certain foods, especially spicy ones.

What I don't love is that condrieu generally starts at $100/bottle for a good one.

Tonight, I tried Revolution, a viognier, from McLaren Vale (Australia). The best part about the wine was it cost all of $15. I reckon that statement is incorrect- the best part of the wine was how much it has to offer and, yet, only costs 15 bucks. It has a very delicate nose but it has amazing depth all the way through the palate. Apricots and dried peaches lingered for at least 45 seconds. The finish was extraordinary. But that's not to say that the wine was sweet, because the acidity really held its own throughout, and by doing so held the wine together. And it would hold your meal together as well. There were only 100 cases (100???????) of this wine made and it is due to "expire" within the year so I recommend you "GETS" (reference to a Japanese game show) if you can find and drink immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment