Wednesday, November 4, 2009

vino, part 1

Wine is dynamic. From year to year, region to region and varietal to varietal, the saying truly fits the bill, "no two wines are the same". In and of itself, that makes wine different and exciting. You can drink a Budweiser year after year after year and it still tastes like Bud. Wine is different and it's more challenging and, I would argue, rewarding than most other types of alcohol. Opening up a bottle and not knowing quite what to expect is what it's all about. Having a bottle that is everything you expected and more can make for a great evening with friends and family.

The thing about wine is that there is so much to learn and know and that knowledge changes regularly. A good year for Bordeauxs might also be a horrible year for Burgundys and a mediocre year for Brunellos. The next year, the tables could very easily turn. At the end of the day, there is a lot to know. The only way that you can overcome the depth of wine is to taste and read and form your own judgments on those readings and tastings.

For the many of us who have gotten into wine slowly, because they liked the taste of a cabernet or a pinot noir, little did we know how far this hobby would go. It starts with wanting to try all varietals; an amarone, a vouvray, a sauternes and then it goes deeper into making comparisons within those varietals. And every year (at least for most wines and vintages) brings on a whole new "batch" to start all over with.

My palate longs to try something different so I am open to most varietals and types of wine: I like dry more than sweet but I'll drink both. I can drink a red wine that is high or low in tannins. I can drink a barnyard pinot noir or a fruity pinot noir high in alcohol. I can drink an oaky, buttery chardonnay from Napa Valley or a dry, crisp Chablis. There is no doubt that we all have our preferences but I think part of what strengthens my love for wine is knowing how much there is out there that I would really enjoy. I hope you feel the same.

With this blog, I hope to give you my opinions on some of the wines I taste as well as make more general statements on wines. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment