Friday, November 20, 2009

2006 Kangarilla Road Shiraz Viognier

This wine is young. There is no question about it. One of Robert Parker's henchmen may say you can drink it now but this wine has a ways to grow. WHO ARE ROBERT PARKER'S PEOPLE ANYWAY? Can you really trust them? I know they have been trained to rate wine like he would but how can you know for sure? I've found that Robert Parker's reviews are more consistent than his understudies. However, the only publication I really can follow consistently is Wine Spectator. For example, I have yet to drink one of their wines with a rating over 92 that I was not entirely pleased with. Wine Advocate, on the other hand, has had a number that failed to make my grade. Wine Spectator tends to like a more balanced wine, in my opinion, and that's also why I probably respect their opinion more.

Anyway, onto the wine, At $20/bottle, this is a 92% shiraz, 8% viognier blend from McLaren Vale in Australia. With time, this wine could be great. The viognier (a white wine that is typically very floral and that has some of the strongest aromas found in wine) certainly adds delicacy to the strong shiraz flavors of black pepper and black berries.

I'm going to buy another bottle and save it five years and I'll bet you my notes then are more complimentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment