Thursday, November 12, 2009

Luigi Bosca 2007 pinot noir

Pinot noir from... from Argentina?!!! Yes, and it got a 90 from Robert Parker. I had to try it based on the newness of the concept.

Unfortunately, I thought the wine was lacking. No barnyard, no nothing. Little flavor, to be honest. At $15 it was reasonably priced, and I generally don't dip below $20 on pinot noir period so maybe it's a weight class issue. Maybe if I compared it to a $15 Oregon Pinot noir and certainly if I compared it to a French burgundy, it might hold its own.

Regardless, I suppose some wines are just getting too expensive for their own good. To not be able to find a $15 pinot noir is a problem, when you can find other varietals, even CABERNET, that have much more quality at that price. It's a shame but the truth of the matter is that there are just not that many places that can grow pinot noir. Supply and demand. When up and coming countries, like China and India start flocking to pinot, watch out. The sky is the limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment